Friday, October 10, 2008

Good Luck to all you Chicago Marathoners!

I'm jealous of all you marathoners.

If you're a first time participant of this wonderful event your in for the time of your life. If you ran the Chicago marathon before or any marathon before you know what I'm talking about.
The thrill of running down the streets of your home town. All your friends and family cheering your on every mile. I'm defiantly jealous of all of you marathoners this Sunday.

I want you, marathon runner, to stay happy. There will be a point in the race were you will be in pain, tired, and will want to rip off the head of the next person that says, "You're almost there." I want you to stay positive, keep a smile on your face and keep pushing.

Someone once told me the story of a little boy named Kegan. Kegan unfortunately lost his life to cancer. His mother addressed my running team and told us he always kept a smile on his face even when he was going through his chemo and radiation therapy. She told us a doctor once asked him how he staid so happy and positive. Kegan replied, "You can be happy or your can be miserable either way the distance is the same."

I took that quote to heart. I tell myself every time I go out for a long endurance training. Imagine how a little boy who is spending his time in hospital can say that. He knew he had a long journey before him and made a conscious effort to stay happy.

You, marathoner, for a few hours you will be in pain. Just remember if you have 20 miles to go or even .2 miles, keep positive, because either way...your still running 26.2 miles no mater what. So stay happy, if you have the energy give me a smile at mile 23 and give me a high five.

Good Luck, and Rock and or Roll!

1 comment:

Allison Dyck said...

Wow great pic Im a starting triathlete and i like your blog, Have you done a tri before